Sunday, December 30, 2012

A little recap!

GUYS! I know it has been a while since I've posted something, so for that, I deeply apologize! It's been so busy and awesome that I haven't been able to figure out what to write! That's a good problem, I suppose. ;) Anyway, I'll give you a little bit of a post about some cool stuff I've been learning and then I'll jump into some juicing stuff with a following post since I'm beginning a new juice cleanse on the 1st!

Ok, first thing- Hair!: My hair has grown SO MUCH, and so have I! It's been an amazing journey with my fresh, new, baby hair coming in, and I won't post anything about that yet (Gosh! I know! There's just so much to write that I need to save it! Trust me. You'll probably laugh and cry and laugh some more...) so just sit tight. The past few months have been cr-a-zy good working through some tough stuff.

Dating: Yeah, so, I made myself a new rule - "Don't post anything about the dudes in your life, Anslee. They seem to disappear after you do that." That's pretty self-explanatory. But honestly, I've learned a lot lately about healthy relationships, dating and platonic friendships alike, and how boundaries are supremely important. I'm talking about my boundaries with myself above all, mainly with consideration to the other person, and it was tough to begin with, but after a while, I realized how there is a deeper appreciation between the other person and myself. Plus, heartbreak... It happens, guys. That's part of dating, right? Figuring out what works for you, what doesn't, and deciding whether the person you're spending time with is THE ONE or not. That last guy was really awesome, and he kind of told me, in a roundabout way, that he saw that I was pretty much on my way to conquering the world (It's true, ok. So don't fight it!) and he didn't want to get in the way of that due to our differences. I didn't believe him until a few days ago when I woke up, immediately sat up in my bed, and said out loud, "Holy shit. That guy was so right. Thanks, guy!" I didn't want to get in his way either, so it worked out in it's own little sad-at-the-time way. I learned a lot in that mini relationship, and I am thankful for all of the blessings from those lessons that I get to carry with me now. [Cue: "Some day, my Prince will come!" Oh, Sleeping Beauty... Thanks for being there for me when I need ya!]

Parents: Christmas 2012 will go down in history as the First Annual Vegan Connell Christmas. I shit you not! Seriously. There was no animal product or by-product to be had at Christmas dinner for the first time EVER. Rewind to Thanksgiving when I sat my parents down after a great dinner together followed by an even better conversation (I am beyond blessed to have such open, loving, communicative parents!) and showed them the documentary "Forks Over Knives." Here's how it went.

Me: Mom... Dad... I would like to show you something if you don't mind. It's a documentary that can explain to you in a better way why I am choosing to go mostly vegan with my diet. Since you're medical professionals, I think you will understand where I am coming from and why I have made this choice. As you know, I did a juice fast this year that really helped me a whole lot and provided a ton of clarity, health benefits, and healing, and this documentary can help explain some of that and why I'm going to basically do more of it.
Mom & Dad: *looking slightly concerned but open to new information that can explain why their daughter has jumped off the dietary deep end* Ok... Sure. Let's check it out. We're not doing anything else anyway.
Me: Great! Now, I just want you to know that this isn't to persuade you or convince you of anything. I simply want to show you where I am coming from so you have a better understanding. *Start the documentary*

There were a few "Oh, wow. I didn't know that!"s and "Yeah, you are totally right!"s and then... My father, the radiologist and self-proclaimed carnivore says...

Dad: How can I get more information about this? How can I be one of those doctors in the film? Is there a training program? Can I read some books about this? ... ... ...
Me: *jaw on the floor, looking up everything I can find on the internet about this subject as fast as humanly possible* Here we go! ... ... ...

And the rest is history. I got a text from Dad about a week later saying that he was a vegetarian (My heart practically stopped and then jumped for joy!) and that I've made more of an impact than I probably know!

Pause. Let's think about this for a second. I am the youngest person in my family of 5. I'm the baby girl. I'm "the artist." The "crazy one." The "weirdo liberal." You know, all of that stuff. I only dreamed of having this kind of support! I remember talking about my decision to go mostly vegan as a prayer request during community prayer at my church because I was preparing for rejection! Who knew they would be on board! I am completely elated, and I can't wait to see our progress as a family to a whole foods, plant-based diet. Our minds have changed, and our bodies are following suit. I am so, so thankful for these changes we are going through that are bringing us much closer as a family unit. (Did I mention that politics were brought up ONLY ONCE my entire Christmas visit?! Hello, Christmas miracle! Thank you, Baby Jesus!!!) I feel like I've won something. You know what, I may have!

Bikram: I started a 90-day bikram challenge! And ooooohhhhh mmmmyyyyy gooooooodnessssss I am IN LOVE! But... I'm saving that for another post soon, so watch out for that. (I am such a tease tonight, aren't I?! I can't help it! I've been needing to write for a long time about all kinds of stuff!) Good things come to those who wait, right?! ;)

So, that's it for right now. There have been so many amazing things happening in my life that I can't wait to share - along with my goals for 2013. There are many, of course. Would you expect anything less? Didn't think so! Ok, I love you guys and I'm excited to post next about juicing, so come back in a little bit!

LOVE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful ! Can't wait to read more about everything it's really inspring and I'm following the same way. Thank you for sharing your progress Anslee !